About Me

My photo
I grew up in Texas. I met the love of my life in college. I didn't realize he was the love of my life until 10 years later!!! We are having an amazing life together. I couldn't ask for more! We have a lab mix named Chance. We rescued him from a local Humane Society. We are currently living in Boston.We miss Texas & our family and friends very much. I love my Mexican food! I have to have it every time we are in Texas.
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Anti-Valentine's Day

First off, I haven't been MIA from cooking. I just haven't been taking pictures. :( So no cooking post today and probably not until next week. Second, the title of this entry may be a little misleading. When myspace was big, yeah remember that site? Anyways, I always wrote an Anti-Valentine's Day blog. I've never been a big fan of this so-called holiday except as a little girl when my daddy would bring home me a new bear with the paws wrapped around a vase with a pretty red rose. I cherished those days although I didn't know I did till I grew up. (& Yes I still say daddy at 30.) This entry today will be somewhat why I hate the holiday, but why I want to celebrate it all at the same time. Get ready, this may be a long winded post. :)

I usually give a little history on the holiday. But thanks to Google, you can search for Valentine's Day history and then go to Wikipedia or just click here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine's_Day.

Why do I hate this holiday you may be asking yourself. The answer is simple in a way. My birthday is January 28, so a little over 2 weeks ago. My great hubby went ALL out this year for it, because I was turning the dreaded 30. I really rather stay 25, it's just a great number, not quite 20, but not yet 30 either, if I could tell people I was 25 the rest of my life I would, but something about 30 makes people respect you a little more. As I said, the hubby went all out: getting a hotel room in the city, taking me to a yummy steak dinner, seeing Lion King on Broadway and then Junior's for dessert. Not to mention making me take a half day off Friday so I could go get one of the best mani/pedi's I've ever had with my great friend Trish. We were there about 2 and half hours...oops. It was one of the best weekends yet. (Def of 2012, lol) On that day the hubby showed how much he loved me.

On Valentine's Day, a holiday that girls either gush over or hate themselves because they have no special someone in their life. I just don't understand putting so much pressure on the man when the woman should do the same thing for that special someone. Think about: A man starts to think,"Oh great valentine's day is coming, I must buy overpriced flowers (think supply & demand, 2 weeks ago a dozen roses, $18.99, today, $29.99--not kidding a price hike), a mushy card, chocolates, oh & I better pick the best place for us to go eat. I have to out do all my buddies or I'll never hear the end of it." A woman thinks: "I am dreaming I get flowers & a mushy card that I wish he would just tell me in person and chocolates are a bonus. A romantic dinner would be great! I get to say my other is better than my friend's." (Because for whatever reason God made women make things into a competition.)

So--what happened to let me pick a random day out of the year and buy flowers, a mushy card, chocolate and take my other out to a romantic dinner? This goes both ways. I don't think all those things show that a person loves someone, it stresses people out. Just another holiday to make Hallmark money.

This year though I feel different. Why? Well, I'm finally happy with my life. I'm married to a great man (note: not the greatest because that honor is held for one man, God) and I want to celebrate my love for him. Sure, I bought him a card {if he reads this before dinner, then oops} and no we aren't going to a fancy place for dinner. I'm going to cook us a nice meal and have a yummy dessert so we can enjoy each other at home. I told him no TV, no phone, no computer. A technology free night for us to spend our first married Valentine's day together. Technically I told him while I'm cooking he can get his technology on, but after that, I just want it to be us. Holding and cuddling each other, telling the other why we love one another so.

NOT saying, that all the pictures on Facebook of my girlfriends getting flowers won't put a smile on my face or all the I love you {insert pet name here} will damper my day like it has before, but this holiday just irritates me!

I still want that random day where the hubby whisks me away in the city or gets me flowers for no reason other than he loves me. And I will whisk him away and take him to a seafood place and tell him the reasons I love and respect him. He gives me many days where he shows he loves and respects me and I give him those days too. It has made our relationship so much stronger because we celebrate at random times and not on a holiday that will stress each other out.

My challenge to my readers (which aren't many), but pick a day this year (not a birthday or anniversary) and show your love to that special someone in your life. Get a baby-sitter and go enjoy yourselves. Whether it be a bike ride, a scavenger hunt, a picnic or going to a museum or staying at home snuggling, make it just about the two of you and the rewards will be so much greater than those today.

I think if you've made it this far in my thoughts about this holiday, you deserve some love & respect yourself. Hope you have a great day! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment