About Me

My photo
I grew up in Texas. I met the love of my life in college. I didn't realize he was the love of my life until 10 years later!!! We are having an amazing life together. I couldn't ask for more! We have a lab mix named Chance. We rescued him from a local Humane Society. We are currently living in Boston.We miss Texas & our family and friends very much. I love my Mexican food! I have to have it every time we are in Texas.
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Thursday, March 29, 2012

DIY Sunday Funday--Starburst Mirror

Remember when I said I had a DIY Sunday Funday? Well here is project #2 of 3 complete. Thanks to the hubby for helping with this one! He drilled the holes for me. I got the inspiration from: http://amotherandadaughter.blogspot.com/2012/01/diy-starburst-tutorial.html She has a much better tutorial than I will. (ie. lots more pictures)

I started out with:

Not sure why it's turned sideways, but there's:
8 in wood circle
Large mirror
small mirrors
dowels
small wooden circles

I didn't sand any of the wood but it will make for a smoother work surface if you sanded the large circle. I printed out a paper ruler and measured 1 inch apart on the large the circle for the hubby to drill holes in. (He said the beveled edge made it hard to drill the holes and some are closer together than others, but it turned out in the end) I ended up with 26 holes.

Then I took 7 dowels and cut them in half with a Dremel. (I did this while the hubby drilled holes) Then I sprayed painted everything black. (If you live in apartment, I suggest NOT to do this on your balcony as spray paint will blow onto the ground & you'll have black marks. You can take the time to hand paint everything or go somewhere else to do the spray painting.) After everything was dry I used Gorilla Glue (I suggest regular wood glue at this stage as Gorilla Glue expands) to stick the dowels into the holes. {Hubby to the rescue again...he cut the 'extra' glue off with an Exacto knife so I didn't cut myself...I'm a klutz and it would have happened.} Then I spray painted again to cover some of the imperfections. Then the hubby put on a picture hanger on the back of the large circle.

WHEN all that was done I used the Gorilla Glue to glue all the small mirrors and large mirrors on. I'm sorry I didn't take more pictures of this process. I really bit off more than I could handle on a Sunday and wanted to get all the projects done, but realized it would take a few days to complete everything! So here is my our finished product. It does add some dimension and color (even though it's black) to the living room.
THANKS to A Mother and A Daughter for their tutorial and inspiration!! {I'm not taking any credit on this, except that I made my own!}
PS Yes one of the small mirrors is not centered...and yes my OCD sees it every time and once I slow down, this will get fixed! =)

1 comment:

  1. Great job, Candice (and husband)! You guys did an awesome job! And thanks for mentioning our blog! We appreciate it! ~ Barbara and Alicia

    ReplyDelete